Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Great Recipe

I wanted to share my recipe for Shepherds Pie. This has been a family favorite for a very long time. It is very easy and quick and can be adapted in many ways. I hope you will try it!! Let me know if you have any questions.


Shepherds Pie

1 lb ground beef
2 Cans of Veg-All Homestyle (29 oz) - drained
1 jar Heinz HomeStyle Savory Beef Gravy (12 oz)
4 servings Hungry Jack Mashed Potatoes
6 slices of American Cheese
Salt
Pepper
Season Salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Brown ground beef. In a medium size bowl, mix vegall, gravy and ground beef. Add salt, pepper and season salt to taste. Prepare Hungry Jack Potatoes as stated on box. Pour beef mixture into a greased 2 ½ Quart baking dish. Top with 6 slices of cheese. Spread potatoes on top making sure to cover all the way to the edges. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 30 min.


This is a great dish that can be changed in many ways. You can use any type of cheese including shredded. You can top it with real mashed potatoes, tator tots or even shredded hash browns. It can also be prepared with frozen vegetables instead of canned. This is the easiest and quickest way, and it is delicious. Give it a try!!

1 comment:

Renna said...

We had Shepherd's Pie just the other night. It is always all slicked up around here. ;-)

I make mine with a slightly different twist.

I brown the ground beef with chopped onions. After draining off the fat, I mix in a can of cream of mushroom soup.
I put it in the bottom of my baking dish, then cover it with a can of drained canned corn, or a cup or two of thawed frozen corn.
If I have potatoes on hand, I make my own mashed potatoes to top it with, but the other night I just mixed up some instant potatoes. I was surprised how good it did taste with the instant.
I then sprinkled the top with shredded cheddar cheese, and baked it about 15 minutes (as everything in it was already hot) at 350 degrees.

With a salad, it's a perfect meal. :-)